The Difference Between Underwriting and Advertising
Underwriting on Non-Commercial stations like KBCZ is different than advertising on commercial stations. KBCZ places you, your product or service in a unique position by clearly separating your name from the clutter and noise in commercial advertising. The FCC requires non-commercial stations adhere to their specific guidelines, in other words, commercials can say anything to sell anything. Underwriter spots are held to a higher standard.
Reach a Specific Target Audience
KBCZ listeners are passionate about the San Lorenzo Valley, its history, it’s natural beauty and close community. Underwriting on KBCZ identifies your company as a local company engaged with the community. Just as you, the underwriter, supports KBCZ, the station’s loyal listeners will support you. Listeners say their opinion of a company is more positive when they discover that company supports their community radio station. An association with KBCZ 90.1FM , tells listeners that you appreciate community radio and all the richness that it can bring to the community. It shows that you support your neighbors… who are probably some of our DJ’s!
The Basics of Underwriting
Underwriting spots, per FCC guidelines, may include:
- Name of sponsor’s firm and location, for example, “Daryls Drug Store located at 123 Main St.”
- Brand or trade names and product or service listings, such as, “Daryls Drug Store specializes in gifts, greeting cards, medications, toys and other home products”.
- Logos or corporate slogans which identify but do not promote
- Value neutral description of a product line or service
- A telephone number or a web address
Underwriting spots, per FCC guidelines, may not include:
- Qualitative or comparative claims, for example, “Daryls Drug Store has the best ice cream in town”
- Calls to action ie “Come and see us”, “Visit their website” “Call now”, “Stop in their shop”
- Price or value information “Only $9.99,” “5.5% APR,” “10% off!”, “Our Summer Sale”, “Discount prices on all new models!”
- Jingles are not allowed
- Inducement to buy, sell, rent or lease, “Free with every purchase”, “Say you heard it on KBCZ and you’ll get 2 free gallons!”
- Pronouns are not allowed, ie. we, you. me, us, they, our, etc.
Become a KBCZ Underwriter
KBCZ is an NCE (Non-commercial educational) radio station and accepts underwriters support in exchange for on-air recognition. Underwriting is the best way to both connect with KBCZ listeners and support the radio station. KBCZ gratefully accepts this form of support from local businesses and the nonprofit community. Local companies, nonprofit organizations, and individuals provide significant financial support by underwriting all of our programs on KBCZ.
You can join our illustrious list of underwriters:
- The San Lorenzo Valley Post
- River Dogs of Boulder Creek
- iHwy Web Services
- Brian Dean with Flagstar
- Paula Smith with Bayview Brokerage
- Smiling Grille Auto Repair
- Redwood Dental
- Room Real Estate
A KBCZ underwriter spot is 100% tax-deductible. Get in touch today and ask about our affordable pricing.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org